Episode 37: How to Add Video to Your Sales Arsenal – An Interview with Stacy McKenzie
This episode of the Startup Selling Podcast focuses on how video affects the sales process. We talk about how to use video effectively to prospect, educate your customers, and how to build an “Authority Voice” in your chosen marketplace.
Stacy McKenzie is the Director of Lucid Studios at Lucid VR where they are developing the next level of camera technology to enable VR and AR content creation with real-time image processing. She is also the founder of Optical North, a San Francisco based video and film production team dedicated to bringing vision and creativity to every story.
We dive into video best practices, benefits, and why it’s important to have a balance between low-end quality videos and ones that are professionally made.
Listen to the episode here:
Even better, why not subscribe to the “Startup Selling Podcast: Talking Sales with Scott Sambucci” on iTunes?
Show Notes & Topics:
- 6:33 – Description of what Stacy does
- 7:35 – “Hour glass effect” model for scaling business and growth
- 10:40 – How startups should leverage video to market and sell to their target market
- 12:00 – Know your message
- 14:45 – The importance of building long-term relationships with clients
- 16:05 – Reasons to use video; e.g., appeal to mobile users, tutorials, company introductions
- 16:22 – Video is like a personal conversation, solves problems with first impressions
- 17:28 – Stats and sales benefits; e.g., email campaigns, Google stats, ROI
- 18:40 – Think “one on one” conversation with ideal customer
- 19:56 – Video based on vanity or branding strategy–what’s the goal of your video?
- 22:44 – Have a platform for sharing video
- 25:06 – Look smart as an authority in your market
- 30:00 – Video is the “hook”
- 35:41 – Tradeoff: low-end quality video vs. professional video
- 39:50 – Starter package for cadence of low-end and high-quality videos; e.g., elevator pitch, call to action, video blogs
- 42:50 – Finding a distribution model for your target market
- 49:20 – Qualification questions for hiring video companies
- 50:19 – Find videos you like and refer to those when qualifying a company
- 58:50 – Document special events
- 60:04 – Communication is key between you and video company
Links & Resources:
- Stacy McKenzie on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/stacymckenzie/
- Stacy’s email: [email protected]
- Lucid Studios: http://getlucidcam.com/
- Optical North Productions: http://www.opticalnorth.com/
- Optical North videos: https://vimeo.com/user28608336
- TedX Talk on Virtual Memory with Stacy McKenzie: https://vimeo.com/200733646
- UN Women, inequality in the workplace: http://www.unwomen.org/en
- He for She Campaign, Emma Watson: www.heforshe.org/en