Ep. 23: Capital-Raising, Avoiding “Legal Debt” & Going From Idea to MVP: An interview with Chris Combs [Podcast]
About this episode: Chris Combs is the Co-founder & COO at LinkSquares. In this episode, Chris talks about his experience raising capital for his various startups, how to avoid “Legal Debt” and specific strategies Chris used to go from idea to salable product at LinkSquares.
Subscribe to the “Startup Selling Podcast: Talking Sales with Scott Sambucci” on iTunes.
Or listen to the episode here:
Podcast Topics & Notes:
- 3:00 – How Chris & I met via Quora
- 6:30 – Chris’s personal need around Datto’s acquisition of Backupify led to founding LinkSquares
- 15:30 – About SalesQualia & Startup Selling | Give me a call @ (415) 596-0804 or email: email@example.com
- 17:00 – Importance of a Legal document tracking system
- 19:00 – Avoiding Legal Debt
- 20:30 – Using e-signtuare tools like DocuSign
- 22:30 – Angel capital raising strategies & lessons learned
- 26:00 – Putting sales & customer development first before capital-raising
- 30:00 – New funding round definitions around angel round vs seed stage vs venture funding. Building a referral network.
- 37:30 – Building an MVP at LinkSquares from idea to product 1.0 to salable MVP
- 45:30 – Completing 50 customer development conversations
- 51:00 – Selling your MVP & pilot programs. “Getting in the direction of sales.”
Websites & Resources mentioned in the podcast:
Chris Combs & LinkSquares:
Scott Sambucci on Quora: www.quora.com/profile/Scott-Sambucci
Datto Backupify: www.datto.com/backupify