This podcast is a deep dive on:
- How to hire the best sales team,
- What tools you should use in your recruiting and hiring process, and
- Applying the “The 80/20 Principle” to your hiring process.
We talk about some of the essential features of a well oiled hiring machine: from pre-hire assessments and short structured screening calls to some of the “magic questions” you should be asking candidates to gauge fit and – more importantly – longevity at your organization.
We talk about the importance of defining the roles you’re hiring for, not rushing the process and we cover how to use data, technology, and inbound selling to take your business from $0 to $100 Million in revenue.
Regardless of the size or stage of your business, this conversation with Wayne will have something valuable that you can use during your next interview!
Even better, why not subscribe to the “Startup Selling Podcast: Talking Sales with Scott Sambucci” on iTunes?
Show Notes and Topics:
- Explanation on building a sales teams and helping them grow
- What’s the #1 biggest mistake small businesses make when hiring they’re first salesperson?
- Importance of defining the role
- You don’t have to be perfect to hire your first sales person, but you need to have pioneered your system
- Review of assessments used to hire sales team
- Overview of Sales DNA related to money
- Supportive Buy Cycle – How I buy things is how I sell things
- You have to stand in front of a mirror and say your price
- Comfort Discomfort
- Non-Supportive Buy Cycle
- Advice for founders on how to get comfortable asking for business
- Difference of headwinds and tailwinds
- Importance of talking to others and getting difference perspective on hiring
- Difficulties you may across interviewing sales people and how to manage it
- Advice on not rushing a hire, using the 80/20 Principle
- Best standards on hiring to save you time and find the right person
- Ask the “magic questions” during the initial phone interview
- How to make the interview process as efficient and beneficial as possible
- The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
- What’s the 80/20 Principle to screening and interviewing salespeople?
- 1 – Pre Hire assessment
- 2 – Short Triage Call / screening
- 3 – Get enough candidates – quality retained search recruiter, Indeed/job boards, admin/partner to learn a process quickly
- Keep your job page up
- Free Ad on Indeed – refresh every 30 days
- Tag contacts on LinkedIn
- Wayne Herring on LinkedIn
- Blount, J., Weinberg, M. Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling
- Warrollow, J. Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
- Check out Wayne Herring’s website Herring Coach, LLC: https://herringcoach.com/
- Davidai, S., Gilovich, T. “The headwinds/tailwinds asymmetry: An availability bias in assessments of barriers and blessings
- Objective Management Group – Pre-Hire Assessment
- Zero-Risk Hiring System
- Contact Wayne Herring
- Business Builder Camp – Male business owners who also want to be good dads and husbands
- Check out Roberge, M.The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
- Inspect what you Expect:
- Example of scheduling a brief screening call
- Objective Assesment Blog on Non-Supportive Buy Cycle article: