Ep. 24: Selling a $40,000,000 Gulfstream Online, Negotiating with Vendors & Surviving Cancer: An Interview with Gina Danford [Podcast]
About this episode: Gina Danford is a business coach and owner of Red Zebra Coaching. We talked about the operational and tactical facets of running your business – working with vendors and customers, knowing your numbers and cash flows needs, joining trade associations, books worth reading, hiring slowly and firing quickly, and reading contracts and partnership agreements. We also talked about Gina’s startup experience at Aircraft Shopper Online from 2000-2007.
Lastly, we talked about Gina’s cancer diagnosis at the age of 19 and how she beats the odds to be talking with me on this podcast.
Listen to the episode here:
Even better, why not subscribe to the “Startup Selling Podcast: Talking Sales with Scott Sambucci” on iTunes?
Podcast Topics & Notes:
- 3:45 – Mid-growth business growth challenges such as hiring, cash flow & preparing the business to scale
- 6:00 – Can a good startup founder be a good mid-growth CEO?
- 7:45 – Incremental growth mindset & skill set
- 12:45 – Lessons learned from incremental growth companies for hyper-growth startups in hiring & managing teams
- 18:00 – Biggest mistakes of hyper-growth startups
- 21:00 – Negotiating payment terms & legal implications of contracts with vendors & partners
- 22:00 – Importance of partnership agreements among founders
- 27:00 – Vendor, expense and cash flow analysis
- 32:00 – Using your startup status to you advantage as a buyer of products and services
- 35:00 – Pulling the ripcord on a non-paying customer
- 38:00 – Finding non-cash currency for payment with customers
- 42:00 – Gina’s startup experience at ASO in a Web 1.0 world
- 43:30 – Fighting inertia in an industry to prove your product
- 50:00 – Engaging with your market via Trade shows and competitors
- 54:00 – Gina fight with ovarian cancer
Websites & Resources mentioned in the podcast:
Gina Danford & Red Zebra Coaching
- Gina on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ginadanford
- Gina’s story overcoming cancer: https://redzebracoaching.com/about-us/overcoming-cancer/
Other Links & Resources:
- American Cancer Society: www.cancer.org
- [Book] “Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less” by Greg McKeown: https://www.amazon.com/Essentialism-Disciplined-Pursuit-Greg-McKeown/dp/0804137382
- [Book] “Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration Hardcover” by Ed Catmull & Amy Wallace: https://www.amazon.com/Creativity-Inc-Overcoming-Unseen-Inspiration/dp/0812993012/
- [Book] “Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation” by Steven Johnson: https://www.amazon.com/Where-Good-Ideas-Come-Innovation/dp/1594485380/
- HustleCon: www.hustlecon.com
- Entelo: www.entelo.com
- Aircraft Shopper Online: www.aso.com