Ep.132: What is Customer Success and Why is it Important?: An interview with John Roberts
In this episode of the Startup Selling Podcast, I interviewed John Roberts.
John founded Successly in 2016, a company dedicated to helping Customer Success teams make a big impact. John recently moved to Silicon Valley after a successful run guiding his previous startup – Buzz.Report – in North Carolina.
3 Key Takeaways from this podcast:
- Customer Success is a Business Model.
- If you have to choose between Customer Success or Sales, choose Customer Success first.
- Customer Success should be at the head of the table for every company.
Customer Success: Definition & Important notes:
- Why every subscription company is only successful when you retain your customers is because the real value is how long you can retain those customers.
- How can you make Customer Success successful in a way that creates value?
- Completing 290 Customer Success Interviews with VPs about customer success.
Customer Success & Its Role in the Sales Process. Think about these:
- What are the goals we’re striving for over the next year with the product?
- Should Customer Success teams have veto power over new customer acquisition?
- Aligning top-line sales growth while avoiding churn and misaligned incentives?
- How can you make sure the customer success team is compensated Renewals?
- Casting in the sales process – Sales focuses on education and Customer Success focuses on implementation.
- Focusing on the “jobs to be done.”
- Customer Success is the crucible of all communication and activity.
- Why Customer success should be at the head of the table in product companies.
- Customer success as a business model.
- Customer success teams and capturing the voice of the customer.
Organizational Design for Start-up CEOs:
- The case for why Customer success should be the first team to build.
- Questions to ask: What’s the experience with the customer? How can we watch the customer use the system or product? How can we understand every aspect of the customer’s interaction with the product?
Customer Success teams vs Product teams:
- Customer success should focus on what the customers needs.
- The Product Team should focus on the best features to build in response to the customer success team’s list of problems.
Hiring customer success teams when someone wants to be the sales or the product manager:
- Set expectations very clearly.
- All other departments relate to customer success.
- You’ll be seeing is more salespeople in the customer success role in the future.
Links & Resources:
John Roberts on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/john-roberts-92bb0438
Adam O’Donnell on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/adamfodonnell
Listen & subscribe to The Startup Selling Show here:
Thanks so much for listening! Tell a friend or ten about The Startup Selling Show, and please leave a review wherever you’re listening to the show.