This SalesCast is brought to you by, well, SalesQualia. Check out the Startup Selling Program, a 90-day program focused on finding customers, growing revenue and building your sales process.
In this episode, Scott speaks with special guest Melanie Wong from Box.com about her experience transitioning from being a lawyer into becoming a top prospector for big customers at Box.com. Key areas covered are:
- Examples of cold calls that turned into big clients by knowing how to find project managers and project engineers.
- The pitch to start off on a cold call, some patterns to use when cold calling, and some early signals that a deal is going south.
- What constitutes a hard question to know if prospect is serious about your product and strategies to find additional product champions when yours isn’t pulling the deal through.
We hope you enjoy the podcast and would greatly appreciate feedback! Any suggestions on future topics you would like to hear covered and/or podcast guests you’d like to hear would be great! Enjoy!
02:15 – What Melanie is working on.
04:53 – Law is cool and fun.
06:00 – What was most frustrating making a conversion to get into sales.
09:05 – An example where a cold call, has turned a client into a mega client.
11:30 – How to find these project engineers.
15:00 – The pitch to start off on a cold call.
16:50 – What is the pattern to use.
24:10 – How to start the email, “I’d love to introduce you to our executive team.”
27:17 – The job of an SDR, Sales Development Rep.
28:24 – In that cadence of call, call, email, email, how to craft that out in a way that is effective.
31:21 – What are the early signals that a deal is going south?
34:41 – What constitutes a hard question to know they want to get into this now.
36:44 – The strategy to navigate through trying to find multiple people.
Resources mentioned or related to this podcast
- DiscoverOrg: Sales and Marketing Intelligence Solutions.
- Data.com Instant access to millions of top quality company profiles and business contacts and emails all in one place.
- LinkedIn: World’s Largest Professional Network.
- Google, Search Engine.
- Yesware: Prescriptive tools that help sales teams sell smarter.
- The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help Hardcover – by Amanda Palmer.
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are Paperback – by Brené Brown