Focus on Now now. Worry about Later later.
As a startup founder and team, you have a scores of priorities spinning every day – building and fixing your product, finding new customers, prepping for meetings and product demos, landing your next customer, recruiting talent, financing and funding your company. And that’s just before breakfast.
That brings me to this week’s Monday Morning Challenge…
Zig Ziglar used to say [paraphrase] that when we’re at work we’re thinking about home, and when we’re at home we’re thinking about work. It’s no wonder we never get anything done…
I know it’s a struggle each hour and each day to focus, and that’s what makes it all the more important to center your attention on the task at hand, do it well, and then move on.
Each week, I post my “Top 3 Priorities” for the week. Here are a few examples from recent weeks:
- Build new custom audiences for my Facebook ads, and target existing ads to the new audience.
- Deliver an awesome webinar on Thursday
- Have an awesome speaking gig at The Glue Factory
- Train my VA on a new process
- Work the top of the pipeline to find the next client and first new for June.
- Build & share an awesome “Tuesday Training” to my clients tomorrow.
- Attend a coaching call to ask about improving my own program
I’ve found that even getting three things done well in a week is challenging, which makes focusing that much more important.
Have a product demo later today? Focus on nailing that demo, and then worry about the next call after.
Product not working the way you need? Dial in and get the bug fixed by the end of the day, no matter what it takes.
Need to fill the top of your sales funnel? Isolate yourself for two hours and do 20 phone calls and emails.
Going to an industry conference next week? Take the day to build your target meeting list and begin building your dance card.
Only have 45 minutes to do one thing today? Find ONE thing and do it well.
Focus on now, now. Worry about later, later.